The Importance of Preventive Care
posted: Feb. 19, 2020.
Seeing your dentist every six months should be a non-negotiable. Here’s why….
Just as you lead a healthy lifestyle in order to reduce your risk for certain general health problems like heart disease, you should also take the precautionary measures to maintain healthy teeth and gums. In fact, the two most common dental problems that our Russellville, AR, dentists Dr. Richard Morgan and Dr. Jennifer Young encounter are decay and gum disease, both of which are preventable with proper preventive care.
So, what does preventive dental care entail?
Preventive dentistry ensures that each and every patient, regardless of age, knows how to care for and maintain good oral health. This begins from the very moment your child’s first teeth erupt at around 1 year old and continues throughout their life. While some habits and care will change over the years as mouths age, preventive dental care is still at the forefront of preventing problems from happening to your teeth and gums throughout your lifetime.
Here are some of the preventive dentistry services our Russellville, AR, general dentists offer,
- Prophylactic dental cleaning
- Annual x-rays
- Comprehensive oral exams with oral cancer screening
- Dental sealants
- Fluoride treatment
These dental visits, which should occur every six months, are often fully covered by your dental insurance plan.
Did you know that preventive dentistry starts with you?
While coming in every six months for checkups and cleanings is paramount to a healthy smile, most preventive care measures begin with habits our patients adopt on a daily basis. These habits include:
- Brushing your teeth twice a day using fluoridated toothpaste and a soft-bristled tooth (it’s up to you whether you want to use a manual or electric toothbrush)
- Floss at least once a day, preferably before brushing, to remove plaque and food from between teeth and along the gum line
- Eat a healthy diet and limit sugar and acidic foods and drinks, as these substances can damage tooth enamel and cause decay
- Never smoke, as smoking can cause everything from halitosis (bad breath) and severe stains to gum disease and oral cancer.
- Prevent teeth grinding. If you grind your teeth at night it’s important that you talk with your dentist about wearing a custom-fitted night guard while you sleep to prevent dental damage due to grinding.
Need dental care? Give us a call
Are you looking for a dentist in Russellville, AR, that can provide you and your family with routine dental cleanings and checkups every six months? If so, Ashcraft Morgan Young Dental offers compassionate dental care to patients of all ages. Call us today at (479) 968-1470 to schedule your next cleaning.